TCPO was set up in 1962 with the merger of the erstwhile Town Planning
Organization (TPO) and Central Regional and Urban Planning Organization (CRUPO).
TPO was set up by Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru in 1955 to formulate the
First Master Plan for Delhi, while CRUPO was tasked with evolving a plan
for Delhi Region and advise on the Development of Steel Towns, River
Valley Projects etc. Since 1962, TCPO has been functioning as a technical
wing of the Ministry of Urban Development.
The Organization is headed by Shri J.B. Kshirsagar. Dr. Ashok Singhvi, IAS, Joint Secretary (UD) is the ex- officio Chairman of the Organization.